Sunday, March 26, 2023

Hassles of Everyday Life

If you do a Google search for my cell phone number you will get a few results -- creepy web sites in countries like Turkey, Russia, etc. which compile various phone numbers. If you try and go to these web pages you will get stern warnings from your browser, "don't do this," because they are extremely unsafe.

===

Because I have an Android cell phone, the other day I got some message from Google maps which told me all these places I have been recently over a period of several days. For example, the museum in the town where I grew up near Vancouver (I donated a bunch of stuff to them), two Value Village stores, and a restaurant where I had brunch with this old friend of mine. Because I have "location" on with the phone, it knew all these things. If I don't have location on and I lose my phone, it cannot find it.

===

I got warnings in both text message and email yesterday that I hadn't paid one of my credit card bills and the amount is due on March 30, hardly enough time to pay it off, because banks don't seem to work on the weekends as far as receiving payments are concerned. The only problem is, I already paid the bill when I got the statement 10 days before and in my account at the bank which issued the card it shows that the payment was received shortly after this.

===

Yesterday I got a text from some person in Ohio which looked like it was a wrong number. I said to them, who are you, the person then started to get chatty when I said I was in Vancouver, saying "Oh Canada is a wonderful country, blah blah blah." They sort of apologized for bothering me, but then seemed to be starting a conversation with "what should I call you?" At this point, I blocked the number. I felt like saying, "Oh, I guess you are one of those Internet prostitutes," but they did seem sincere, obviously part of their persona to insinuate their way into my good books. I should have replied, "I am Officer Mike with the Vancouver City Police."

No comments:

Post a Comment