Saturday, April 19, 2014

Are you a "record rescuer"?

Every few months there is some article about how there is a "resurgence" of interest in vinyl long-playing records. Current vinyl sales, according to one article I read, are about 2% of all music sales these days, which I thought VERY high. But new records are far from cheap, and there is no way I would ever go back to them because of this and the fact that I suffered for years listening to crappy scratches and so forth.

I think part of the "vinyl resurgence" has to do with people suffering from terminal nostalgia who are what I call "record rescuers" (yes, I count myself among these deluded people). They cannot bear to see records in thrift shops which are going to be abused (if they are not already) and/or "not going to a good home." These rescuers are like people who burst into tears when they see puppy dogs and pussy cats with big sad eyes up for adoption at the SPCA (and, I suspect, a lot of people on Facebook).

No comments:

Post a Comment